Home Page

Complaints Procedure

Complaints Procedure Document





In this school, all the staff are dedicated to giving all the children the best possible education and caring properly for their health, safety and welfare at all times.  We are committed to working closely with parents and believe that the school and parents should work in partnership, each carrying out their particular responsibilities to help the pupils gain the most from their time at school..


If you feel that something is not going quite as you would like it to, we are doing something that you are unhappy with or not doing something you feel we should, PLEASE TELL US ABOUT IT.


In the first instance, please discuss your concern with your child’s class teacher, or the particular teacher most closely concerned.


If, after doing this, you do not feel that your concern has been properly dealt with or if your concern is about a particular teacher, please discuss the matter with the Headteacher.


If, after doing this you are still not satisfied, you can address a formal complaint to the Governors of the school.




As a first step, if you are unhappy with anything about the school, please talk to the teacher most involved.


Usually, teachers are available for a short while after classes have finished, but to make sure that the teacher has time to listen properly to what you have to say, it may be worth telephoning the school to make an appointment.  We hope that most concerns will be resolved in this way.


The teacher will not only try to address your concern but will report the matter to the Head so that she is aware of your concern and what is being done about it.




Very occasionally, it may be that your concern cannot be resolved by the teacher, or you may feel that the situation has not altered or your concern is about a particular teacher.  If this is the case, you should raise the issue with the Head yourself.


It would be helpful to telephone the school and make an appointment so that the Head can set aside the time to sit down and talk through the situation carefully with you.  Invariably, matters can be sorted out satisfactorily this way.




We would expect most, if not all, complaints to have been resolved through the stages described so far. In exceptional circumstances, however, this may not be the case and you may wish to pursue the matter further and more formally.


Matters relating to the internal management and organisation of the school, discipline and other such matters would normally be raised with the governing body. Although this happens rarely, the governors have a Sub Committee and a specific procedure for handling such issues. The following general principles will apply:

  • You should set out your concerns in writing, and address it to the Clerk to the Governors. The Clerk’s name and details are below.
  • If, for some reason, you do not feel that you can do that, please telephone the Clerk (the number is printed below), explain that you want to make a complaint but are unable to set it out in writing. The Clerk will produce a typewritten statement of your complaint, at your instruction, for you to sign.
  • The Governors will then meet formally to discuss your complaint. They may invite you to come along and verbalise what has been written down, and they may well invite other people to give their point of view on what you have said.
  • The Governors will then have to make a decision in the light of what they have been told. This decision of the governors is usually final.


The governors may, on receipt of your complaint, ask someone to investigate what you have said.  In particularly serious matters, this could well be an officer of the County Council’s Children’s Services Department. In such cases, you will receive a copy of the investigation report prior to the governors meeting to discuss the matter.


You may, of course, address your complaint directly to the Children’s Services Department of the County Council, not the governors. If you do, you should address it to the Director of Children’s Services, County Offices, Newland, Lincoln, LN1 1YQ.  A senior officer will study what you have written and may refer it to the governors suggesting an investigation is called for. Normally, however, you need to note that unless your complaint is about the governors, what you have said will have to have to be considered first by the governing body.



Mrs G Mawer

Scotter Primary School

High Street



Lincolnshire DN21 3RY

01724 762 259